Good afternoon Everyone,
Finally, some warm consistent weather. About time here in the windy city. I’ve been on this vintage kick. I am obsessed with French country, metal distressed tin, greenery, and wood decor.
Lately I have been working on a few projects related to that. I am currently working on coasters and mod podge. I am truly in love with mod podge, which I had heard about before and never really knew what it was. When I thought of mod podge I would think of newspaper strips and a model of some type. Don’t ask me why.
Now that i have gotten my hands on it. WOOHOOO!! It truly has so many different purposes: Sealer, transfer, and glue.
My project that I started yesterday was coasters. I bought these inexpensive Travertine tiles from home depot. Super cute, easy to paint, and the pack only cost me about $4.50.
I printed out images that I found on Google using a inkjet printer. I made sure that I did an advanced search in case I decided to sell these I wouldn’t be breaking any licensing laws. To do this you go to the advance search, and then change the usage rights to free to use, share, even commercially. If you are just using for personal use, I am sure any image is fine.
I am going to be selling mine on etsy. My first tiles I feel were fails. Let me tell you what I feel I went wrong. I brushed the mod podge onto the tile and a light amount of the front of the photo. I placed the picture (photo face down onto the tile) white paper should be facing up.
I let sit for several hours giving it enough time to cure. Best bet is to let sit for 24 hours. Two places I feel I went wrong: 1. I didn’t put enough mod podge on the tile. 2. When it’s time to rub the paper off I didn’t soak in water long enough.
Once you let it cure you run the tile under water or soak in water. What I found worked is let it run under water and start rubbing off paper after a couple minutes. This will help from the image peeling off.
I used travertine tiles because I liked the vintage textured look that I was going for, but it also hash even spots that made the image peel. Honestly, I feel it gives it character.
This is what it looks like when you start rubbing in circles to remove the paper. After you remove all the paper add a layer of matte or gloss mod podge to seal. I will add mod podge dishwasher to help waterproof the coaster.
If you’d like a video tutorial please let me know! Any comments or questions are encouraged.